This version of UTW is pretty much the same as 2.8.6….
…except that I’ve made a few tweaks here and there, so now it’s compatible with the latest 1.6 build of wordpress (Not sure about earlier 1.6 versions, though.)
This is release #32 that I’ve made of this plugin. Thirty Two. It’s up to about ~90kb of PHP… The first version was 7.7kb.
I was going to call this version UTW 25; but nevermind (:
Changes in this version:
– Tagyu tag suggestions are retrieved using CURL, if available; and file socks when not – some people had hosting provider issues with the file_get_contents() way it initially was. I’ve also tinkered with the escaping – smart quotes were throwing it off by the looks of things.
– The ajax driven tag-adders will accept a comma separated list of tags, so now you can add a bunch o’ tags at once.
– I’ve added another predefined format: technoraticommalistwithlabel; which is like the technoraticommalist, except it puts “Technorati tags: ” at the front of the list. Mostly, this is for use with the automagically included tags.
– There’s a new thing that’s just a little bit special.
I’ve added two template functions:
UTW_ShowTimeSensitiveWeightedTagSetAlphabetical. If you use either of these functions on the date.php or archive.php files in your theme (and index.php, I imagine (: ), when you’re viewing at a date based archive; the tag cloud will only display the tags for posts within that date range. (/archives/2005/08/ displays things from August of this year in the popular list in the sidebar, for example.)
– Oooh. I’ve made this theme available for download! (I’ve taken out the gravatar bit, so I *think* the only plugin dependency is UTW) You can find it here
Let’s try that again (:
– This time, the database should automagically update itself (instead of breaking tags (; )
– I’ve changed the way tag suggestions are requested; so if you weren’t able to use the old way, if you could try again and let me know if it’s still a problem that would be great (:
– Beware: There are a bunch of new options: go to the Options > Tags page. Some of them will change the way things look.
– Edit: Beware #2: If all of a sudden tags stop saving, doing a force reinstall will make everything go (the first .zip of this version I uploaded had build numbers out of sync. It’s sufficiently late that I’ve probably made the build numbers out of sync in a different way in the new .zip d: )
– I’ve fixed the bug where text sent to tagyu.com for tag suggestions that contained HTML markup would have a spaz
– I’ve fixed the typo in RemoveTags() (Thanks Julio!)
– I’ve fixed the bug in GetCanonicalTag() (ditto)
– I’ve split the administration into two pages – one is configuration stuff, and lives at Options > Tags, and the other is for wrangling tags, and stays at Manage > Tags. I’ve added links from one-to-the-other, so with any luck they don’t get lost (;
– I’ve turned the automagic tags inside-out! There are now “primary” and “secondary” tag links (instead of “local” and “technorati”). Each set of tag links can have its own predefined format selected. Let me know if this causes more pain than joy!
– I’ve added custom format stuff for linking to gada.be; along with a handy predefined format gadabecommalist that will render a simple, comma-separated list of tag links into the gada.be site.
– I’ve monkied with the internals of GetFormatForType. It’s much cooler, now (: Instead of a big switch, there’s an array of items which lets me grab a format by key (And make a list of predefined formats for the options page (; On the horizon will be a convenient way of putting custom formats somewhere so that they can be called by name, without fear of changes being squished by later versions of the plugin – probably it’ll be a “make this file, put a function called somesuch in it” kind of arrangement.)
– I think that’s it! (:
* Caution: Out of Date, but I’m way too tired now; so I’ll update it tomorrow (:
UTW 2.8.3 has switched to tagyu.com for tag suggestions instead of using Yahoo! With any luck this will produce much more useful tag suggestions (:
I’ve also added in a new predefined format, weightedlongtailvertical which is the format that I’m using for the popular tags, and on the Archives page; in this theme.
There are also a few more custom formatting placeholders for getting the percentile ranking of tags.
OMG! New Version!
– Fixes the bug where an error was displaying in the tag box for new posts
– Automagically included Technorati and local tags are now wrapped in
tags. Technorati tags use the CSS class named “technoratitags” and local tags use the CSS class “localtags”
– You can view the union of tags! If you go to /tags/tag1|tag2|…|tagn then the tag page will display the union of those tags. At this stage, you can have either a tag intersection or a tag union; you can’t mix the operators up.
– There’s a new formatting string, “andcommalist” that will display a comma list of tags, along with a link to the intersection page (when appropriate – either from viewing a tag page with a single tag, or viewing the tag page for an intersection of tags)
– There are also new custom formatting placeholders!
-%intersectionurl% that displays the url for the current set of tags and the tag being rendered.
-%unionurl% that displays the url for the current union of tags, along with the tag being rendered.
-%intersectionicon% that displays the intersection url with a little icon ().
-%unionicon% that displays the union url with a little icon ().
-%intersectionlink% that displays the intersection url as a link, with a + as the link text
-%unionlink% that displays the union url as a link, with a | as the link text
Whee. ‘Nother release!
* Adding the url as a custom formatting option seems so obvious now.. I’ll add one for the next release.
New Ultimate Tag Warrior!
This version adds…
– A Force Reinstall button on the manage tags page. Clicking this will attempt to re-run all of the updates.
– There’s now a “single” template in custom formats
– The Tag Suggestions bit will now take the keywords that Yahoo! sends back, and looks for any tags which are related (i.e. if a post is tagged with one of the Yahoo! keywords, then any other tags for that post will be in the tag suggestions list)
There’s a new version of UTW… just a couple of bugfixes, one of which is fairly important!
– tag pages no longer display private posts/future posts (this is the one which is fairly important)
– RSS feeds + tag.php files now get along