A brief introduction…
Ultimate Tag Warrior (UTW) is a tagging plugin for wordpress. It allows storing a set of keywords (or as current slang dictates, tags) against posts that behave like categories – the tags can be displayed on a post, you can go to the archive page for a tag, and there are RSS/atom feeds available. Unlike categories, you can also view archive pages and feeds for sets of tags such as the posts which are tagged with both “photograph” and “food”, for example.
Beyond the category-like behaviour; UTW also provides ways of getting an overview of your tags through tag clouds, a long tail graph, and a weighted bar arrangement. UTW can also be coaxed into linking to other tag-savvy websites such as del.icio.us, Flickr and Technorati.
One of the more splendid things that it can do, is use the Yahoo! content analysis bits and pieces to look at the text of the current post, and make suggestions for the tags.
New! Exciting!: I’ve created a forum over here for Q&A type stuff.. so if you have a question, that’s a better place to ask it than here (:
Table of contents
This page is a work in progress (: As was pointed out, the old page that lived here wasn’t too helpful for new users; so I’ve scooted that off to its own page, and this will become more of a getting the plugin going sort of a page.
Wordpress 1.5 and WordPress 2.0 diverge enough that I need to make two versions of the plugin. Use the first one with WordPress 2.0 RC1 and up, and the second one with WordPress 1.5 and up (but less than 2)
Ultimate Tag Warrior 126.96.36.199, for WordPress 2.0 | Ultimate Tag Warrior 188.8.131.52, for WordPress 1.5
An example theme can be downloaded from here.
- Copy the Ultimate Tag Warrior plugin files into your plugin directory
- Change in $install_directory value in ultimate-tag-warrior-actions.php to “/” (it’s on about the fifth line)
- Enable the plugin
For version 1.5.1+ of wordpress (Including 1.6 alpha)
- Copy the Ultimate Tag Warrior plugin files into a folder named “UltimateTagWarrior” in your plugin directory
- Enable the plugin
The text field in the Tags box is where all of the tags associated with the post go. Under the tags box there’s a list of clickable links to the tags that are already in use. Clicking on these tags will add them to the tags box. It’s possible to change the existing tags bit to change to a dropdown list through the Manage>Tags page (or to not display at all) if you find it gets unwieldy as you have more tags in use.
The Tag Suggestions box, has a “Get Keyword Suggestions” button, that when clicked, takes the body of your post, sends it to the tagyu.com webservice that guesses at the important keywords in the text; and those keywords will display in the Tag Suggestions box, along with any tags that UTW finds that are related to those keywords.
There are two sets of tags that can be included at the end of pages (or indeed, not included). The style of the tags can be selected on the Options>Tags page.
Displaying an HTML list of tags for a post
<ul><?php UTW_ShowTagsForCurrentPost("htmllist") ?></ul> inside the wordpress loop.
Displaying a tag cloud
<?php UTW_ShowWeightedTagSetAlphabetical("coloredsizedtagcloud") ?> outside the wordpress loop (Could go in your header, footer, sidebar or archive)
- I’m getting no such table SQL errors!
- In wordpress admin, go to Manage, then Tags; and click the “Force Reinstall” button. Sometimes the plugin gets all tied up in knots and doesn’t add tables when it’s supposed to and doing a force reinstall usually sorts it out. (Let me know if it gets into a state where a force reinstall doesn’t sort it out!)
- I clicked the “Update Permalinks” button; but my .htaccess file hasn’t updated
- This is probably caused by a wordpress bug: the .htaccess file will only be updated if there’s a permalink structure specified. If the permalink structure is empty, then nothing happens. If you add a permalink structure, then click “Update Permalinks” again, then your .htaccess ought to update. (Please let me know if this is still a problem, though!)
Previous versions and downloads
Information about previous versions is located here.