Tonight, we’re having roast venison. The basic sort recipe that I’m following lives here; but I’ve made a few changes.
For the marinade, I went with a couple of glugs of oil, the zest and juice of a lime, a couple of generous pinches of freshly ground cumin, a small handful of juniper berries, a tablespoon or thereabouts of black pepper, a teaspoon or so of salt, and a couple of crushed cloves of garlic. (The cumin was added, lime switched in for lemon, and wine dropped). And for the rest of the ingredients… I didn’t bother.
Since it’s still in the oven, no pictures at this stage; but perhaps later on.
So far, the house has two kinds of bugs.
One type, sounds suspiciously like vagrant spiders (we have seen two enormous freaking hunting spiders, in any case. Last night, one was climbing on a wall, and fell off. It hit the ground with a *thwok*). The other type of buggly invaders…. are millipedes.
I had millipedes come and visit when I was living in Oriental Bay. Rumor has it, I didn’t like it very much.
So far, I’ve only seen dead millipedes downstairs. If I see living millipedes upstairs, there will be another millipede armageddon.
(I suspect that the owners before us might have used an outdoor-type insect deterent/poison, because almost all of the crunchy millipedes have been within a meter or so of the outer walls)
Still have both boeuf bourguignon, and cold.
(However, the last of the boeuf bourguignon is dinner tonight; so alas, no boeuf bourguignon tomorrow. I don’t believe I’ll be able to say the same about the cold.)
I just paid the rates bill for the first time.
I feel like such a grown up, now.
Quick! Someone fetch me a zimmer frame!
This is boeuf bourguignon, made using the recipe in the Les Halles cookbook; give or take. This is my second attempt at this, and both times it’s ended up with the liquid closer to brown than red. One of these days, I’ll figure out where I’m going wrong.
..and with any luck, only another 119 months of being mortgaged to go. *crosses fingers*
To celebrate, I have a cold!
Behold, version 0.2 of my category archive plugin!
- Some type checking on the parameters passed in to the functions.
- The addition of get_limited_category_archive(), which gets only the categories specified
- The inclusion of a $getchildren parameter to the standard archive-getter, which allows excluding the display of child categories
- get_category_archive($limit = 10, $parent = 0, $getchildren=true)
- $limit is the maximum number of posts to get for a category. 0, -1, or none will get all of the posts.
- $parent is the id of the parent category to get.
- $getchildren specifies whether the children of the categories should be displayed
- get_limited_category_archive($categories, $limit = 10)
- $categories is the list of categories to retrieve. This can be either an array of category ids, or it can be a comma seperated list (for example: 1,2,5,7)
- $limit is the maximum number of posts to get for each category. 0, -1 or none will get all posts.
The plugin lives at http://www.neato.co.nz/plugins/category_archive.txt