First, make a delicious cure: 1/3c of flakey salt, 2 tablespoons of sugar, the finely grated zest of a lemon, lime and an orange (optionally, half a grapefruit as well) and a bit of white pepper are combined together. The zest has enough moisture to sorta damped the sugar and salt. Next, take a piece of salmon fillet, and press the cure mixture on to the non-skin side. Gaps are okay (: Don’t panic if there are gaps.
Wrap the salmon in a sheet of tinfoil, then put it in a dish in the fridge (You want the dish because a bunch of liquid will be pulled from the salmon, and while foil usually does an admirable job of containing the liquid; it’s better to avoid having it dribble through your fridge if it doesn’t (: ). Leave the salmon for 2-3 hours.
Once it has finished curing, remove the cure mixture. I usually put it under cold running water d: Pat it down with paper towels so that it’s dry. It sure looks delectable at this point.
Almost finally: Preparations for smoking – Get a disposable foil roasting pan, and put a layer of wood-pixie-dust in the bottom (I got a bag of manuka-pixie-dust from the supermarket a while back..) It doesn’t need to be super-deep. Put the salmon on to a wire rack (like a *cough*uncoated cake cooling rack*cough*); then put the rack on the roasting pan (I have a rack which is longer than the roasting pan so that it’s nicely supported, about 4cm above the woodchips). Then build a tent to loosely cover the salmon from more tin foil (Another foil roasting pan, upside-down would probably work pretty well too).
Finally: Smoking – put the roasting pan on the barbecue for 15 minutes.
I just upgraded to wordpress 2.0, so if anything bizarro starts happening, it would be super if you could let me know (:
Looks like there’s an interesting bug which is doing odd things to comments. I’m not seeing it, though; but if you are, let me know! Thanks (: We found the bug – it only appears if you display related posts. Updating to version 220.127.116.11 of the plugin will fix it. (I’m pretty sure I fixed a bug in the AJAX tag-adding bits too – it looked like it would have been broken, in any case)
Sometimes you take steps forwards, and then you take steps backwards.
In the WordPress 2.0 version of the plugin, I’ve moved the tag-entering bit back to how it was previously – the way I had it, to get it to work was a flakey-flakey thing which caused problems which far out-weighed its usefulness.
I’ve updated the help (I think!), to include the last few versions worth of changes.
And fixed a few other bugs here and there (:
Support Forum | Ultimate Tag Warrior 18.104.22.168, for WordPress 2.0 | Ultimate Tag Warrior 22.214.171.124, for WordPress 1.5
– Spaces are going to be replaced with hyphens by default instead of underscores. Existing tags aren’t automatically changed; but if you want to, there’s some SQL here that will do it for you.
– Prefixes and suffixes for auto-tags had a dumb bug which I’ve fixed (:
– In wordpress 2, tag names with apostrophes are problematic. If things are broken, try renaming those tags.
– There’s still work to be done with special characters.
– I’m still not sure about .htaccess/rewriting issues in wordpress 2.
Support Forum | Ultimate Tag Warrior 2.9.1, for WordPress 2.0 | Ultimate Tag Warrior 2.9.1, for WordPress 1.5
New uber-version of UTW!
– There are new options which might cause wonky behaviour (mostly just automatically included tags appearing) – go to the Options > Tags page and hit save to make ’em vanish.
– If there are database permission issues that prevent the auto-updater from running, you won’t see error messages all over the place (but if you do a force-reinstall they will display)
– Related posts are sorted by most tags in common, then most recent first (previously it was just most tags in common order)
– Tag urls are now url-encoded (duh.) – this allows using umlats and other such things (at least in the way I tried (; including ü in your tags works, using magical characters directly is a bit bung still)
– Lists of posts can now include the date of the post (uses the %postdate% formatting placeholder, and the default date format)
– UTW_Show functions have changed a little – the first parameter still takes the name of a predefined format; but if you pass in custom formatting information, it will be added to the predefined format.
– The Options > Tags page has a whole bunch of embedded help. Yay help.
– The automatically included links can now be placed either before or after the content. There’s also the option to add text before and after the tags (handy for Tag: labels, wrapping tags in spans or divs and wrapping html lists in <ul> tags)
– I’ve fixed an odd bug with feeds (it worked for me, but didn’t for a couple of people.. it’s just one of those bugs, I guess)
– [Wordpress 2 only] On the write post screen, the tag entry and tag suggestion boxes have been shuffled into the right-hand column and put into magical boxes for shuffling and hiding and whatnot.
– There’s a new template function, UTW_ShowRSSFeedIcon(). It displays an RSS icon on tag pages for the current tag set (if you’re viewing /tags/tag1 it’s a link to the tag1 feed. On /tags/tag1+tag2 it’s a link to the feed with posts tagged both tag1 and tag2).
– The UTW_AddTagToCurrentPost() has an extra parameter – it allows specifying the minimum user level that you need in order to add tags. It defaults to 3.
Things I haven’t forgotten:
– The ability to exclude tags from displaying in tag clouds and on posts
– The gadabe issue with … in tag links
– Cobbling together a non-includey version
– Displaying tag clouds for a subset of tags (For facetish purposes)
If there are things I have forgotten, let me know (: I get forgetful sometimes..
Support Forum | Ultimate Tag Warrior 2.9, for WordPress 2.0 | Ultimate Tag Warrior 2.9, for WordPress 1.5